This meatloaf takes on Italian flavor with the addition of Parmesan cheese and an Italian herb blend. Serve this flavorful meatloaf with mashed potatoes and corn or green beans for a fabulous everyday meal.
The meatloaf is made with a combination of lean ground beef and ground pork. Feel free to use all ground beef in the meatloaf, or use 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef and 1/2 pound of ground pork. The pork adds extra flavor and moisture to the loaf. Bulk Italian sausage may be substituted for the ground pork.
Recipe Notes: WWs PointsPlus: *6 – WW SP: *6, Servings: 4 – Calories: 243 kcal
How to make it?
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup finely chopped white mushrooms
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 pound lean ground beef (7% or less)
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats (not instant)
- 2 large egg whites (I use 1 whole egg instead)
- 3 tablespoons ketchup (plus more for brushing on top)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves (not ground thyme)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (or 1 teaspoon minced fresh)
How to make it:
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Spray a 4-1/2 x 8-1/2-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, onion, carrot, and celery. Cook, stirring frequently until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer this mixture to a large bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the vegetables in the bowl and mix well. Press the meatloaf into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake the meatloaf for 30 minutes. Brush additional ketchup on top of the loaf, if desired. Cook until done, an additional 30 to 45 minutes. (An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the loaf should read 160 F degrees.)
- Remove from the oven and let rest for about 5 minutes. Cut into 8 slices.