This easy recipe highlights one of the best flavor combinations on Earth! These crab and cream cheese crescents combine a creamy crab filling with a rich and flaky dough for the sole purpose of making you smile with pure satisfaction! They make the perfect appetizer and are easy enough for a special after-school snack.
You may be familiar with similar appetizers, especially crab rangoon and crab wontons, which combine similar ingredients into wonton skins and are deep-fried. Crab and cream cheese crescents use a more delicate crescent dough and are baked, giving you a more tender and flaky appetizer, rather than a crispy one.
There are three features about this recipe that make it a real keeper! First, you can make the crab mixture up to 24 hours ahead of time, which is one reason to consider it as a once in a while after-school snack. Second, you can be very creative with adding various seasonings to the crab mixture. Several seasonings go well with crabmeat, including the very different flavors of allspice, oregano, and even curry powder. Start with a small amount (about ¼ teaspoon) of one additional spice and season to taste. Lastly, crab and cream cheese crescents reheat well — just place them on a cookie sheet or pie pan, cover with foil and put them in a hot 325°oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
Here are a few extra recipe tips:
- You can substitute low-fat cream cheese and low-fat mayo in this recipe.
- You may want to lightly flour your rolling pin before rolling the crescent dough, just to prevent any sticking.
- This recipe makes enough for 24 rolls, so avoid overstuffing each crescent roll square.
Crab & Cheese Filled Crescent Rolls
- 1 tube of Crescent Rolls
- 6 oz. Softened Cream Cheese
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1 C chopped, cooked Crab Meat (imitation is fine)
- 2 chopped Green Onions
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/8 tsp Salt
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Lay the crescent roll dough out on the counter and pinch the
pre-cut seams closed.
3. Roll out the dough into an even rectangle and cut into 24
4. Add the cream cheese, mayo, crab meat, green onions,
cayenne pepper, and salt to a bowl and mix well.
5. Distribute the cheese and crab mixture evenly between the12/11/13
cresent roll squares.
6. Overlap opposite corners of the crescent roll squares over the
cheese and crab mixture and pinch closed.
7. Place them on a cookie sheet or baking stone and bake at 375
degrees for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.